Thursday, May 27, 2010

Flixweed

Flixweed or Fluxweed
(Descurainia sophia)

To make a liar of myself, I'm posting two mustards in one day.  Can you believe it?  I've seen this one on the trail often and love how frondy it is!

2010 May 27

2010 May 27

2010 May 27

This is an introduced weed.  Sophia means "wisdom" or "skill" ... those that were wise and in the know, knew to use this plant for dysentry, to expel worms from the intestinal tract and to heal wounds.  All good things to know when all else fails.

8 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

beautiful weed here.. good benefits too..

Bev K said...

I followed your link from a comment you left on the MGCC blog. You've done a marvelous job of documenting the wildflowers - something I've been interested in for many years. I'm adding your blog to my favourites as a handy reference. Thank you.

troutbirder said...

I love the wildflowers too. Mostly prairie around here. Your are quite exotic and interesting for me.

Elen Susan said...

This is a very good post specially on new year. Love your blog.
Wishing you a very happy and blessed New year!

Nicole said...

You are right. Today's Life is all about how to 'get fit' and whatnot. Rarely anyone enjoys nature when I'm out there and look around.
Heck, people get dogs, so they have to go out 'to get fit', not for a buddy or for Love's sake...

And I agree with you in this post too. It's good to know what these 'weeds' are good for. You never know when all else actually WILL fail.
Besides, they make for lovely photos to look at :-)!

Cheers from Kuwait (with not many of these opportunities *sigh*)

Biodiversity of British Columbia said...

Great Blog! I hope you keep it up!

Jenny Woolf said...

Remind me of frost patterns on the window in the winter. I love how the patterns of nature repeat over and over again.

Jack of Diamonds said...

Nature should be more appreicated than it is now.