Monday, September 10, 2007

Water Knotweed


Water Knotweed (Polygonum amphibium var. stipulaceum)

2008 August 3

2008 August 3

Out paddling on one of the lakes this day I saw a flash of pink in near the shore so I had D put in. Water Knotweed is what we found!

An interesting use, the flower was used as bait for trout! Medicinal uses for this plant can be found at this site, some of which are:

* an infusion of leaves and stems used for children with diarrhea
* an infusion used for stomach pain
* roots used to treat chest colds
* a root decoction used for mouth sores

3 comments:

jozien said...

Hi Cicero,
Another Beauty!!
I eat a Knotweed in spring salads.

But what i was going to ask;
i was trying to start a 'gadget'
where i can show which blogs i read, what is URL? (and first do you want me to name this blog?
Thanks jozien

Mary said...

This is a beautiful little plant! The color is great.

Anonymous said...

wow, do the local nurseries know you have this? I would think it would be a great resource for them and their customers!
I love these two images. Look at that water! wow, I've always known that wetlands are great filters but we have so much oil and pesticides here that I seldom have ever seen water this pure!