Monday, September 10, 2007

Wapato



Wapato (Sagittaria latifolia)


2009 July 22


2009 July 22


2009 July 22


2009 July 22

I saw this plant while camping in the Quesnel area of the Cariboo.  I have not ound it within walking are of our home but did find some out at Lake Timothy ... within a reasonable range of our area but already in a slightly different weather belt.

Ducks and muskrats eat the starchy tubers of this plant. The tubers are also edible to humans and are also called "lower valley potato" or "swamp potato". Baked, the tubers and are said to taste somewhat like chestnuts.

Wapato means "arrowhead".

1 comment:

jozien said...

Oh, you are so good Cicero.
You know this is my favorite blog:)
Thanks for all the beautiful new flowers, this one particularly beautiful.
I hope you don't mind, but i still want the photos on my flowerblog to show all the detail, like you do.