Friday, August 10, 2007

Fairy Slipper Orchid

"Fairyslipper" (Calypso bulbosa)

2008 May 12
In 2007 the Fairy Slippers were well into bloom by May 10
but we've had a much cooler spring this year.

2007 May 10

2007 May 10

2007 May 10

2008 June 19
I checked on the orchids this day
and all that remained on one of the plants was this seed pod?

We actually have these growing in one corner of our yard. We also found a number growing back on the deer trails. A delicate and very sensitive beauty (it has a very sensitive root system and only grows in association with a specific fungi). Disturb them (even by picking the flower) and they just won't grow ... so please don't be tempted to pick the flowers! It is one of those beauties that should only be admired from the distance ... or down on your knees at eye level ... no touching! First Nation peoples would eat the corms.

5 comments:

Being Mrs Miles said...

Wow - great little blogsite you've got going here Cis! Wonderful resource & I wish you great success with it. I know personally I will enjoy learning from you!

Barb

Karen said...

A great idea, CS!

I think I read that first nations girls used to eat the fairyslipper corms to enhance their busts! These grow at our place too.

Gardenista said...

I have been told these grow in our area as well (northern SK), but have not found any of these elusive beauties yet!

Tracy said...

I had no idea that some orchids are this cold hardy. They are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This is the first year that I have had one grow in my yard. I discovered it growing underneath my lilac bush in my back yard. We live in North Pole, Alaska and I had no idea that these orchids grew this far north. Definately a beautiful little orchid.