Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Rein Orchid: Round-Leaved


"Round-Leaved Rein-Orchid" (Platanthera orbiculata)

I saw this plant on the forest floor in May. Not knowing what it was, I began tracking its progress:


2008 May 16

2008 May 21

2008 May 23

2008 June 19

2008 July 8

A Round-Leaved Rein Orchid! It is growing in a deep covering of trees and woodland plants. If I wouldn't have noticed it before the other forest floor "stuff" had grown up, and marked the spot, I would have missed this plant all together. I have only found one off these. We live in an arid area so am surprised to have found one at all! Again, it is growing in that area where I suspect an underground water source. I took the pictures without a flash. The last picture was so shady I had the ISO cranked up to 800 ... not quite as sharp as I would have liked. If I get a chance, I'll try again. Usually the mosquitoes are attacking me as well ... a bit distracting ... trying to be still enough to take a shot while they are sticking their stickers into your hand ... in full view! Arrrgghhh!!!

First Nation peoples made a poultice of leaves which they applied to sores caused by scrofula, to cuts, as well as to blisters on hands and feet.

This species apparently has the largest flowers of all western rein orchids. I read that several kinds of moths feed on this plant's nectar and probably pollinate the flower.

1 comment:

Yoke, said...

Lovely pictures, Cisero.

There are Orchids in the desert too, so do not be surprised in finding one near you!

I think that discovering new Wild Flowers/Plants is one of those great mysteries in life.
And in staying put, they are easier to track and follow over the course of its development than birds which might be here the one day and gone the next!


yoke.