Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Rose

There are various wild roses in our area. I'm only getting into this so didn't know to take the time and individually photograph them. Come spring 2008, I'll try to watch out for the various species more carefully. With help, these have been identified as:

"Clustered Wild Rose" or "Peafruit Rose" (Rosa pisocarpa)

2007 June 7

2007 June 7

2007 June 12

Rose Hips are very high in Vitamin C as well as other good things. When my Mom heard this, I was about 8, she had us all go out and collect buckets of these things. She proceeded to make jam. All I can remember thinking was, "Yuk"! If you do want to sample, just eat the outer part, not the seeds. The seeds can be pressed for the oil they contain, which is used in the cosmetic/spa world as a regenerative for the skin. Critters such as coyotes and bears also eat rose hips.

The wild rose is very difficult to get rid of from your garden as it has a very well developed root system that travels for ever! Tell me about it ... I have pulled out any suspicious root or piece of root in my vegetable garden ... and a rose still, occasionally, pops up. But in the back yard, which has been left wild, they can grow all they like.

Rose petals may be eaten (a pretty addition to salads) and leaves can also be used for and in tonics.

No comments: