Saturday, August 4, 2007

Arrowgrass


"Seaside Arrowgrass" (Triglochin maritima)

2008 July 30

2008 July 8

2008 July 30

We went for a walk by a lake we hadn't visited since the spring time. I inadvertently trod on the above plant and thought, what is this? I haven't seen this by the other lakes. We were experiencing a shower so I didn't take pictures on site. Rather, I brought a stalk home with me to photograph at my leisure. Unfortunately, I didn't get it in its flowering stage ... next year. There seemed to be a lot of them in that location.

This plant thrives in saline or alkaline conditions.

4 comments:

jozien said...

Hi Cicero,
I am interested, in how your seaside arrow grass looks in the spring, if the flowers are very purple too? I am mystified by the purple color (see my blog).
Did you taste the white base? (the rest is not good for you,I believe)
It is quite delicious.

Becky said...

This is my first visit and your blog is wonderful ! I just love reading about the different plants from around our country, and your pictures are awsome! When I was younger I would have moved where you are in a minute.
Stop by my blog sometime. Have a nice day.

EcoRover said...

Thank you for the great day-to-day pics of life unfolding. We're on the downhill side of summer here in the northern Rockies, and it's a little sad to see the Jack (Frost) the Grim Reaper stride over the landscape...

Unknown said...

Impressive plant list, and great organization. I have a plant ecologist who every week adds a photo and a few words about Florida native plants. Yours takes it to a whole new level. Looks like good country up there.